|My youngest daughter was not a fan of the spinach,|
but that's part of what makes it so tasty. She ate
around it. Everyone else gobbled it up and I
noticed someone went back for seconds! <3
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 2-3 large carrots, cut into thick, half moon slices
- 2 T. Tomato Paste (I used Contadina w/ Italian Seasonings)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 T. Italian Seasoning
- 1 (15 oz.) Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 c. chicken stock (plus extra for later)
- 1 1/2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (can substitute chicken breasts if you prefer), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1/2 c. whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 T. (or more to taste) chopped fresh basil
- 1 (6 oz.) package of fresh baby spinach
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese for garnish
Here's what to do:
- Combine onions, carrots, tomato paste, salt and pepper, seasoning, beans, chicken stock, chicken and garlic add to slow cooker.
***NOTE: I remove every bit of visible fat from the chicken. I like to use thighs because they do not dry out during the cooking process and are more flavorful. With that said, when cutting the thighs into chunks, it enables you to cut off every little piece of fat. I take the time to do this. You will be glad you did, too.
- Cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to LOW and cook for 3 hours.
- 40 minutes before you want to serve, add orzo.
***I add a little more chicken stock if I think the soup is too thick. Maybe 1/2 a cup. I just pour it from the box without measuring. (eyeball it)
- 10 minutes before serving, add rosemary, basil and spinach.
- Serve topped with fresh Parmesan Cheese.