Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lemon Chicken w/ Broccoli & CousCous

Have you noticed that I've been extremely quiet of late?  I have to tell you that I am meeting myself coming and going.  I live at the dance studio or behind the wheel of the mom-mobile.  I am still whipping up great dinners for my people, but heavens to betsy, how do I find the time to post?  It's next to impossible. 

I am trying to think HEALTHY as we inch toward Spring Break.  We've had some unseasonably warm days and I am anticipating some pool time during my scheduled staycation.  You never know with Texas weather, but I want to be swimsuit ready should the opportunity arise. 

This tasty one dish meal was a real hit with my peeps.  I love lemon as an ingredient for chicken and/or broccoli.  I know you are going to be pleasantly surprised how these simple ingredients can put the WOW factor into dinner.

Ingredients
  • 2 T. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless thinly sliced chicken breasts
  • 1 T. olive oil (plus 1 tsp. for couscous)
  • 1 1/2 c. chicken stock, divided
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or run through a garlic press
  • 1 package of fresh broccoli florets
  • 2 tsp. lemon zest
  • 2 T. plus 1 tsp. fresh chopped parsley, divided
  • 1 T. fresh lemon juice
Directions
  1. On a plate or in a shallow dish, combine 1 1/2 T. flour, 1/4 tsp. salt & pepper; add chicken and turn to coat.
  2. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and cook, turning as needed until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.  Remove to a plate.
  3. Put one cup of chicken stock and garlic into the same skillet; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan.  Add broccoli; cover and cook 1 minute.
  4. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 c. chicken stock, 1/2 T. flour, and 1/4 tsp. salt and add to skillet and bring to a simmer over low heat. 
  5. Cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.  Stir in chicken and lemon zest and heat through.
  6. Remove from heat and stir in 2 T. chopped parsley and lemon juice.  Toss to coat.
CousCous

1.  According package directions, substitute chicken stock for water.  Add one large minced garlic clove (through a garlic press is fine),  1 tsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. lemon pepper, and 1/2 tsp. salt. 

2. Bring to a boil, add couscous, stir, cover and remove from heat.

3.  Stir in 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment