Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras Inspired Cajun Chicken & Shrimp

I know it's been a while since my last post.  I assure you I am still in the kitchen, cooking up a storm, but my busy schedule has really wreaked havoc with my posting.  I hope to get back in the swing of things.  : ) 

We just enjoyed a day off from school due to President's Day.  Lots of my Louisiana friends were back home for Mardi Gras and have been posting the most wonderful pictures on FB.  I loved seeing the parades, beads and fun!  It put in me in the Mardi Gras mood and I thought Cajun Chicken and Shrimp would hit the spot!

Ingredients

Get your Mardi Gras on with this delicious dish.
The flavors work so well together and it's quick,
easy and only takes one dish!
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 large red pepper, cut into strips
  • 4 ounces chicken andouille sausage, sliced
  • 1 stalk celery, sliced
  • 1 c. white rice
  • 2 c. chicken stock
  • 1/2 tsp. Adams Reserve Cajun Seasoning, plus more for seasoning chicken
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
  • Kosher salt
  • 8 oz. raw large, peeled, deveined shrimp
  • 1 c. frozen sliced okra

Directions
  1. Trim all visible fat from chicken.  Sprinkle lightly with Adams Reserve Cajun Seasoning and Kosher salt.  Pat into the chicken so seasoning will stick to the meat.
  2. Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the chicken and cook, until browned, 5 minutes per side.  Add the onion, peppers, sausage and celery and cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes.
  3. Add the rice, 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning, thyme, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt and 2 cups of chicken stock.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered , until rice is nearly tender, about 15 minutes.  Stir in shrimp and okra and cook, covered, until the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 5 minutes.
  4. Serve with warm French bread and green salad.

My entire family enjoyed this tasty dish.  If you are concerned about the heat, you can reduce the Cajun seasoning to 1/4 tsp.  I used 1/2 tsp. and it wasn't too spicy, and I added a little extra to my serving.  I can't wait to hear how you like this one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment